This article is about The New York Times headquarters building since 2007. The original newspaper headquarters in 1851 were at 113 Nassau Street, in a little building that stood until fairly recently, then up the street a few years later at 138 Nassau Street. The slender tower was so constricted in space that the paper outgrew it within a decade and, new york times pdf version 1913, moved into the Times Annex, 229 West 43rd Street, where it remained for almost a century. Times Square, ten buildings were condemned by the ESDC and purchased from their owners.
Some owners sued, asserting that the area was no longer blighted, but lost in court. 1 million in tax breaks. 628,000 square feet on the 2nd to 21st floors, with the remainder leased to tenants. 8 of the floors in order to generate rental income. The lighting design for the building’s nighttime identity was designed by the Office for Visual Interaction Inc. The rod spacing increases from the base to the top, adding transparency as the building rises.
The steel framing and bracing is exposed at the four corner “notches” of the building. The design incorporates numerous environmentally sustainable features for increased energy efficiency. The use of floor-to-ceiling glass maximizes light and views for people inside and outside the building. The horizontal white ceramic rods on the building facade, which are spaced to allow occupants to have unobstructed views while both seated and standing, act as an aesthetic veil and a sun shade.