Northwest Florida Regional Airport Logo. It is publicly owned by the St petersburg florida map pdf. On December 27, 1933 the St.
8,000 for conversion to a public airport. 1939 vast new sums were provided for possible military use. Naval Auxiliary Air Station St. Augustine included additional more runway and hangar construction, support facilities and a control tower. After the war, the Navy reduced operations and in May 1946 the airport was returned to the city. In the postwar period, government subsidies made possible the establishment of “feeder airlines” providing air service to smaller cities, with St. Augustine Airport becoming a scheduled stop for two passenger airlines.
With cutbacks in subsidies the feeder airlines went out of business, and by 1950 the airport, with weeds growing through the cracks in the runway, was seen as a “white elephant” the city could ill afford to operate. Soon the white elephant became a bonanza – a major factor in the industrial development of St. Fairchild also operated a Non-Federal Air Traffic Control Tower in the former Navy control tower on a periodic basis. In 1967, Ernie Moser incorporated Aero Sport as the airport’s FBO and operated it along with his wife, Mary Alice, and son Jim.
Ernie was a real character who gained fame by landing a Piper Cub on the “World’s Shortest Runway” a wooden platform on top of a Chevrolet van. The Moser family quickly became the soul of the St. Augustine Airport and was center to any aviation activity. In January 2006, Diane Moser, the late Jim Moser’s wife, sold the business to the Galaxy Aviation chain of FBOs, bringing to an end the Moser era. In the mid-1980s, Grumman St. Coast Guard Air Station St.
At this point, the airport technically became a joint civil-military facility, while CGAS St. Augustine operated for two years with E-2C aircraft on loan from the Navy, patrolling along the eastern U. Gulf of Mexico and throughout the Caribbean as part of drug interdiction operations. E-2C program was terminated, CGAS St. Augustine disestablished and the military facility returned to the control of Grumman. Airport improvements continued into the 1990s. The Fly-By Cafe opened its doors in 1997 offering a second-story view of the airfield, a menu of aviation-themed dishes, and colorful murals of airplane and airshow memorabilia.